1) Post their New York State Tax Preparer Registration Certificate and price list.
2) Tell you up front whether they will represent you if your return is audited later
3) Ask you about your income, expenses, family, and any other information or documents needed to accurately complete your return
4) Allow you to review your completed return – including your bank account information – and ask questions before you sign it
5) Sign your tax return and enter the preparer tax identification number (PTIN) and New York tax preparer identification number (NYTPRIN), if applicable
6) e-File your tax return;
7) Give you a year-round address and phone number you can use if you have questions or concerns about your return
8) Provide you with a copy of your filed return
Our Fee Structure and price list will be provided in your annual tax organizer, or can be requested by calling our office at 315-788-6310
If your tax preparer does not follow these requirements, you may file a complaint with the Office of Professional Responsibility at www.tax.ny.gov (search: tax preparer complaint). Pub-135.1 (11/21) For more information, call 518-457-5181.